- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil:moist, well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil or ericaceous compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Rounded trusses of deep red, funnel-shaped flowers in mid and late spring with attractive dark green leaves, retained all year. This vigorous, large flowered rhododendron copes well with extremes of temperatures. Ideal for a well-drained border with humus-rich, acid soil, each of the lavish flowers has a distinctive violet-brown mark in the centre. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Garden care: Avoid planting too deeply. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of leaf mould around the base of the plant each spring.