- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This is another top-notch new cultivar by the acclaimed New Zealand magnolia breeder Mark Jury. It is a spring-flowering form, that usually flowers within its first couple of years, producing large (up to 12cm across) claret coloured blooms that have a light perfume. A well-established plant can produce loads of flowers, so it is quite a sight when fully laden, and as it has an upright habit, it is ideal for for smaller gardens.
- Garden care: Plant in a sheltered spot, away from strong winds. Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in spring. Mulch in spring with manure or leafmould, especially on dry soils.