- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Showy, scarlet and purple flowers hang from arching stems from June to October among slender, deep green leaves. This vigorous, single-flowered fuchsia makes a lovely feature plant for a partially shady border. Bushy and upright in habit, it performs best in fertile, moist, well-drained soil with protection from cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: To encourage growth, pinch out the growing tips of young plants after the sixth or seventh pair of leaves. During the growing season water regularly, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Cut back to the permanent framework in early spring.
“Tough and colourful, with hundreds of scarlet-skirted flowers above vibrant, purple petticoats on this hedge or bush making richly jewelled plant in crystal-clear autumn light”
Val Bourne - Garden Writer