- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering Period: May, often with a second flush in late summer or autumn
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Wonderfully scented, star-shaped, white flowers appear in late spring among glossy, aromatic, dark green leaves. This handsome, compact and easy-to-grow shrub is a valuable garden mainstay for a protected site in sun or part shade, although in shade it may not flower. The glossy, evergreen leaves provide an excellent backdrop for medium-sized perennials and pale-grey or purple foliage plants.
- Garden care: Prune established plants in spring immediately after flowering, removing 25-30cm (10-12in) of the flowered stems. This encourages a second flush of flowers in late-summer and autumn. At the same time, remove any frost-damaged stems to the base.
“Perfect for a hot, sunny mixed border or to add an exotic touch to a shady border; very effective as an informal flowering hedge also useful for city gardens as it is tolerant of pollution”
Lucy Summers - Greenfingers Guides
“A refined, rounded evergreen capable of flowering in sun and shade with plain green leaves that frame large clusters of sweetly scented small flowers in early summer”
Val Bourne - Garden Writer