- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: borderline hardy
A useful, long-flowering, semi-evergreen shrub for a mixed border. This abelia has attractive, glossy, deep green leaves which it hangs on to for most of the year. From June, it produces masses of small, fragrant, pink-flushed, trumpet-like flowers on arching branches that go on all summer. As it’s slightly tender, it’s best grown in the shelter of a wall, towards the back of a border. Ideal for a cottage-style garden.
- Garden care: Deadhead regularly to prolong flowering. In autumn after flowering, lightly trim back the flowered shoots to retaina neat and tidy shape. Remove any dead or damaged wood in April.