- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, slightly acidic soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A stunning, deciduous magnolia with a compact habit and dark purple-red flowers which appear from an earlier age than most magnolias. The goblet-shaped blooms are produced from early summer, and then intermittently into autumn. A lovely shrub for a sunny or partially shaded spot out of strong winds.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in midsummer. When planting, add plenty of ericaceous compost to the planting hole and mulch in spring with manure and leafmould, especially on dry soils.