- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, moderately fertile, neutral to acidic soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Beautiful, yellow, daisy-like flowers appear in profusion on long, branching stems over a long period throughout the summer. Once a familiar sight in cornfields, this floriferous annual will put on a magical display, especially when planted in large numbers. Perfect for naturalising in a sunny wildflower garden or herbaceous border, the flowers make pretty additions to the vase, but are also a valuable source of nectar for pollinators.
- Garden care: Sow directly onto a bed with freely draining soil that is not too nutrient-rich. Rake over the bed to break up any clumps and scatter the seeds before raking them in. Tamp down gently and water well until they start to grow. Thin out to 30cm intervals and keep the bed free of weeds until the plants have become established. Deadheading regularly will help to prolong the flowering season.
- Sow: March - April or August - October
- Flowering: June - September
- Approximate quantity: 300 seeds