- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: hardy short-lived perennial
Deep purple-plum pincushion-like flower heads create a dazzling display throughout the summer. They will attract butterflies and bees to the garden, look great in a vase (especially when combined with lime greens), and have a sweet scent. Easy to grow, these short-lived perennials provide bold colour in the border and look great in naturalised planting schemes.
- Garden care: Sow shallowly in trays filled with good, moist but freely draining compost. Keeping the tray well watered, place in a warm, semi-shaded spot and keep temperatures around 20°C until they have germinated. When large enough to handle, pot on into small pots and grow on at cooler temperatures. Gradually harden off before planting outside at 30 - 45cm intervals.
- Sow: February-April
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 75 seeds.