- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately-fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: December to February
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection in cold areas)
Long, silvery catkins up to 20cm long, shine out among glossy, wavy-edged, dark green leaves throughout winter. The silken tassels of this upright, evergreen shrub make a stunning feature in the winter garden. Try it towards the back of a sunny, shrub border, against a wall or as a windbreak in coastal areas. When it has finished its display, the dark foliage makes a lovely foil for summer-flowering shrubs.
- Garden care: Cut back dead or straggly branches in April or May.
“Offers great architectural interest for the back of the border where its long flower tassels look elegant, especially when covered in frost”
Lucy Summers - Greenfingers Guides