- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Flowering period: June to August
- Rate of Growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (will need winter protection)
Tuberose are renowned for their strongly scented flowers, which are often used to make perfume. Normally however their flowers are a creamy white, so Sensation's soft pink blooms are a relative novelty - and better yet, their heady fragrance has not been compromised! It's a gem for the summer garden, but you will want to plant a few extra so you have plenty for the vase.
- Garden care: Plant the Polianthes tubers 10cm deep and 20cm apart and keep under glass until all risk of frost has passed. It can take time for them to emerge but then you can then either plant them out in the border, or keep them in a pot for the conservatory or patio. Water moderately while they are in active growth and feed them with a balanced liquid fertiliser (such as MiracleGro) at fortnightly intervals. As they die down, stop feeding, reduce the water and make sure the tubers are either lifted or the pots moved to frost-free conditions during the winter.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs