- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: December to February
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Fragrant, creamy-white winter flowers speckled inside with reddish-maroon 'freckles' and bronze-tinted evergreen leaves. Probably the best way to appreciate the distinctive freckle-like markings and delicate scent of this winter-flowering clematis is to train it over a sunny pergola, doorway or arch. Frost hardy, it may not survive severe winters.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.