Salvia 'Amistad' (PBR)
- Position: full sun to lightly dappled shade
- Soil: humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
A stunning new cultivar, which if deadheaded regularly, will flower from late spring to mid-autumn. The larger than average flowers are a sublime shade of purple, and they are made all the more dramatic by their near-black calyces and supporting stems. Bees love it.
- Garden care: To prolong flowering remove the flower spikes as soon they start to fade. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring.