- Position: full sun to partial or full shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: August and September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Aralia is a great foliage plant that quickly forms a handsome mound of large, golden-green (or lime-coloured in shadier spots) leaves, which are held on rich mahogany stems. The tropical-looking foliage is reason enough to choose this plant, as it will add structure and form as well as colour to the planting scheme. In late summer however, tall flowerspikes appear, smothered in rounded clusters of tiny white flowers, and later rounded black (inedible) fruit - a bonus!
- Garden care: Keep plants growing in full sun really well watered. Protect from strong winds. Remove suckers as soon as they appear, cutting them back to the base of the plant. In late winter or early-spring remove any misplaced, diseased or crossing branches