- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Add a bit of oomph to the borders with this sumptuously coloured masterwort. It produces umbells of dark reddish-purple flowers, each surrounded by a ruff of similarly coloured, long lasting bracts, throughout the summer - or even longer if deadheaded regularly.
- Garden care: Astrantias do not like dry soil. Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather, especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they dont like having their roots disturbed.