- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
As it soon knits together to form an evergreen carpet, bugle makes an excellent groundcover and is particularly useful for planting at the front of a shady border. This form has attractive, bronze-purple foliage, which is topped with small, densely packed upright spires of deep blue flowers in spring. It will tolerate sun or shade and even poor soils, provided there is adequate moisture.
- Garden care: To rejuvenate and minimise congestion, lift and divide clumps in late autumn or early spring every two years.
“Bright-blue flowers glow against shiny ruby-red rosettes of foliage in this gentle, low ground cover plant”
Val Bourne - Garden Writer