- Position: bright, indirect light
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Flower: In spring/summer, light red
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 10cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
Wonderfully decorative evergreen succulent with fleshy, obovate leaves growing as a rosette. These rosettes can be up to 15cm wide developing a beautiful purple sheen which grows in intensity in brighter light. Naturally it is grown for this lovely foliage, but this interesting plant can also produce panicules of pale red flowers. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Needs very little care, except that the leaves are so need to be handled with care. Water sparingly when required avoiding the actual rosette of leaves, and keep in an even warm enviroment. As an added bonus, this plant often produces small baby plants or 'chicks', hence the common name 'hen and 'chicks' at the base of the main rosette of leaves. Cut these off and pop them into some cactus potting compost to give to all your friends!