- Position: sun/partial shade
- Soil: fertile: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 35cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
A curious plant with an ornamental pineapple growing from the top, but this pineapple is not for eating! Part of the Bromeliad plant family native to Tropical America it has swordlike spiny green leaves, held in a dense rosette, with the fruit held in the centre on a sturdy stalk. Being a sun lover , pop it on a sunny kitchen windowsill to be appreciated. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Allow the soil to dry out between watering. You can feed it with a balanced liquid fertiliser from spring to autumn. There are 2 ways to propagate this plant - either cut off the foliage tuft from the top of the fruit, peel of the lower leaves and then pot this up, or wait until the parent plant produces offsets, and pot these up.