- Position: ideally bright, with some full sun, but will also tolerate shade
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 22.5cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 12cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
If you are already familiar with the mother-in-law's tongues, then you will know how easy they are to grow - and that they are one of the best houseplants for areas of low light. 'Silver Blue' is a form that is not seen too often, and unlike the more common form, its patterned leaves, which have a fine variegated edge, have a spreading habit. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: The main thing to avoid with this plant is over-watering, so only water (avoiding the crown) when the compost gets quite dry. In winter you can cut back even more and only water every month or two and keep temperatures above 10°C. Repot every few years when the roots start to split the pot.
“One of the top 3 in study by NASA into the best houseplants for clearing formaldehyde from the air often found in the home in fiberboard and plywood. Sanseverias also unlike many house plants give oxygen off at night therefore a great plant to have in the bedroom.”
John Hiorns - Plant buyer