- Position:ideally bright, with some full sun, but will also tolerate shade
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 40cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 14cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
From the family of mother-in-laws tongue, this plant has similar characteristics - ie. tough, easy to grow, and extremely tolerant. The difference is that this form has slim, spear-like foliage that fits in well with contemporary decor. It's one of those plants that doesn't take up too much space, but it does have a big impact. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care:The main thing to avoid with this plant is over- watering, so only water (avoiding the crown) when the compost gets quite dry. In winter you can cut back even more and only water every month or two and keep temperatures above 10°C. Repot every few years when the roots start to split the pot.
“One of the top 3 in study by NASA into the best houseplants for clearing formaldehyde from the air often found in the home in fiberboard and plywood. Sanseverias also unlike many house plants give oxygen off at night therefore a great plant to have in the bedroom”
John Hiorns - Plant buyer