- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil or fibre-based compost if grown indoors
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: usually throughout the year
- Hardiness: tender (will need to be over-wintered indoors, or in a shaded greenhouse)
Grown for their showy flowers, which come in a wide range of colours, these tender perennials make superb houseplants. They will flower from mid-spring to mid-autumn and tend to bloom more prolifically when slightly pot-bound. Mainly originating from woodland, rocky slopes and grassland in southern Africa, they require a frost-free position with filtered sun. Water regularly during the growing season, allowing the compost to get a little dry in-between, during this time they should also be fed with a high potash fertiliser. Overwinter in a shaded greenhouse, or indoors on an south or west-facing windowsill, watering less often. Repot each spring into a slightly larger, shallow pot filled with fibre based compost. They can also be used as summer bedding, grow in fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil in partial shade.
In this collection you will receive one of each of the following varieties.
- Streptocarpus Harlequin Lace:Larger than average flowers, each with an intricate pattern of purple-blue veins on their three lower lobes, appear in profusion for up to ten months of the year on these compact plants. Height: 30cm
- Streptocarpus Sweet Melys: Noted for its exceptionally free flowering habit, the slightly fleshy blooms, which open with a pale blue flush that turns pink as they age, have a citrus-sweet perfume. Height: 30cm
- Streptocarpus Roulette Azur:Large, distinctly bicoloured flowers, each with a generous white eye and deep royal blue petal lobes, put on a colourful and prolonged show above the compact foliage. Height: 30cm
- Streptocarpus Hannah:Relatively compact mounds of mid-green foliage are topped with a mass flowers for the majority of the year. Initially blush pink with a yellow eye that is pencilled with short maroon lines, the flowers darken within a few days of opening to mid pink. Height: 30cm
- Streptocarpus Hope:A flash of yellow in the throat and white-flushed upper lobes, make these vibrant pinkish-red flowers really stand out above the strap-shaped, mid-green foliage. Height: 30cm