air plant - Tillandsia argentea
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: these plants do not need to grow in compost!
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: plant approximately 5cm
The fine silvery foliage of these incredibly easy to grow 'air' plants are covered with really small furry scales, which are able to absorb water and nutrients from the air, so they do not need to be potted up into compost at all. This is one of our favourite forms, as it has a tufted 'bed head' appearance, and it can be grown on a piece of driftwood, a rock , a shell, or even one of our hanging glass globes.
- Home care: These plants do need a humid environment to thrive, so a bright bathroom or steamy kitchen would be ideal. Misting with water a couple of times a week usually supplies sufficient water, although additional watering may be required in a dry hot environment. Remember to shake off any excess water though as they dislike ovrwatering and should never be allowed to sit in water for any length of time. If possible use rain water, especially in hard water areas, and never use water from a water softener.