- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: off and on throughout the year, but mainly in summer
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 40cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
The leaves of this showy plant are a deep purple-flushed green on the top with a maroon reverse. This gives them a really nice bi-coloured effect, so even when not in flower, the plant will hold its own in the room. Having said that though, it is the flowers that are the real stars. They top long stems and are a bright orange colour that really glows - and each one can last up to 3 months. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Originating from tropical regions, they like relatively stable temperatures (ideally above 15C) and a well-lit position that does not get direct sunlight (think steamy jungle!). They like to be kept well watered, although this can be cut back a little in winter, and they thrive in high humidity, either grow it in a steamy room, mist it with water regularly, and/or sit the pot on a tray of dampened shingle.