- Please note that as we reserve these especially for you, we take full payment when you place your order. They are then despatched when we start digging the plants, see despatch date above for the estimated delivery date.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: tolerant of a wide range of well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: quite fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Our bare root hedging range is a very low cost way of planting a hedge. These plants are only available to buy and plant when dormant (November-March). These plants, with known seed provenance, are grown in rich Herefordshire soil to give them the best possible start in life so they are rearing to go by the time they reach you.
Our plants are 2 years old (1+1) which means they have been grown for 1 year in the seed bed then lifted and grown on for another 1 year in a larger field. Lifting the plant after its 1st year encourages a healthy fibrous root system. The plants are lifted and graded at between 60-80cm tall, which is a good size to plant hedges at to get good establishment.
To find out more about how to plant a hedge, click here
A splendid plant with green leaves that turn a rich copper in autumn. As a tree it is only suited to large gardens or parks, grown as specimens in the lawn. However, it does make a superb hedge, retaining the brown leaves through winter and only loosing them when the new foliage appears in spring. It will make a lovely formal hedge that also acts as an excellent windbreak.
- Garden care: For best results, plant these bareroot plants out as soon as they arrive into well prepared soil. Trim as a hedge in August, but any renovative pruning needs to be done in early spring. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.