- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A useful, clump-forming, upright grass that will thrive in sun and partial shade, this is grown for its tall, fluffy flower heads that are silvery-grey with pinkish-purple tints. Creating a gently arching fountain of grey-green foliage, which takes on buttery shades in autumn. The emerging growth can be a bit tatty, so place it in the middle of the border. Its best planted in full sun as it tends to flop over more in shade. It has been given the Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society.
- Garden care: Cut back to ground level in late winter before the new growth appears.