- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
Deep purple-blue, scented blooms appear in generous clusters from summer to autumn creating a pretty spectacular display. These are followed by yellowish-white fruits. The dark green leaves will usually stay on the plant in milder winters, but will drop if the temperatures become too low. This vigorous climber is perfect for covering a sunny, sheltered wall or fence. Lavenders and catmint are ideal companion plants, clothing the ground underneath the climber and helping to balance the design.
- Garden care: Tie in stems to horizontal wires or trellis. In early spring remove a third of the oldest stems to ground level.
- Harmful if eaten