- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
This vigorous, evergreen clematis produces a profusion of sweetly scented, star-shaped pure white flowers from March to April. It is perfect for a sunny west or south-facing site, sheltered from cold winds. The glossy mid-green leaves are retained throughout the year, making it an excellent climber for clothing an unsightly wall. Please be aware that this plant is toxic to dogs if eaten.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.
“This spider-flowered, starry white clematis has cool-green anthers which pick up the colour of the narrow high-gloss leaves”
Val Bourne - Garden Writer