- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained, moderately fertile soil (for container-grown bulbs use two parts John Innes No2 compost to one part sharp grit)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Relatively large and with a delicious perfume, the purple trumpet-shaped flowers of this cottage garden favourite will add colour and fragrance to the spring garden. Ideal for bedding displays as well as growing in pots, the flowers are also popular for cutting.
- Garden care: Using gloves plant bulbs 10-15cm (4-6in) deep and 15cm (6in) apart in early or mid-autumn.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant