- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Perfect for adding colour to the late summer border, the majestic spires of this stunning perennial open from the base to reveal large, bright magenta coloured flowers, which have a soft velvety texture. Plant them in drifts through the herbaceous or cottage border, interspersing them with rich purple of soft pink coloured flowers. They also look spectacular when planted near silver foliage. Sought after by florists, the flowerspikes make spectacular additions to a large vase.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10-15cm (4-6in) deep and 25cm apart on a bed of sharp sand to aid drainage. In frost-prone areas, lift them when the leaves turn yellow-brown and store the corms in a dry, frost-free place over winter
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs