- One of the photos on this page shows the plant with gift wrap. This is not included in the price,however you may add gift wrap (for an additional charge of £4.95) during the order process.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained, fertile soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing to average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
The upright, unbranching stem is clothed with fan-shaped, rich green fronds that can grow up to 75cm long. As the plant matures, it will also produce pendulous clusters of yellow flowers near the leaf bases in summer, which on female plants will be followed by near-black fruits. A wonderful plant for exotic and jungle-style planting schemes, it can tolerate a short periods of light frosts, but will need protection in more exposed areas.
- Garden care: In autumn wrap plants with a protective layer of hessian or frost fleece and apply a deep, dry mulch of straw or bracken around the base of the plant.