- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: March to May
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
With its lustrous, dark green leaves, this evergreen bay laurel standard makes an elegant centrepiece for a formal vegetable garden or potager, or planted in a smart contemporary pot either side of a doorway, will frame an entrance. Clippings of the aromatic leaves are valuable, fresh or dried, for flavouring savoury stocks and sauces. It is pretty tolerant of most conditions, provided it is sheltered from strong, cold winds, and is not kept too wet in winter.
- Garden care: Keep well-watered during the growing season and feed with a slow-release fertiliser such as Scotts Controlled Release Tablets. Clip established plants lightly twice during the summer months to retain a balanced shape, using secateurs not shears.
- Size Guide
1/2 standard plants have a 45-50cm clear stem beneath a 25cm head
3/4 standard plants have a 65-70cm clear stem beneath a 45cm head
Standard plants have a 1m clear stem beneath a 65cm head
Supplied in a plastic pot they are suitable for potting in to terracotta pot or wooden planter to makethem look a feature on patios or outside your door