- The photos on this page shows the plant with gift wrap. This is not included in the price, however you may add gift wrap (for an additional charge of £4.95) during the order process. If not gift wrapped, the plant will be delivered in a black plastic pot (not the green ones pictured).
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: March to May
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
With its lustrous, dark green leaves, this evergreen bay laurel standard makes an elegant centrepiece for a formal vegetable garden or potager, or planted in a smart contemporary pot either side of a doorway, will frame an entrance. Clippings of the aromatic leaves are valuable, fresh or dried, for flavouring savoury stocks and sauces. It is pretty tolerant of most conditions, provided it is sheltered from strong, cold winds, and is not kept too wet in winter.
- Garden care: Keep well-watered during the growing season and feed with a slow-release fertiliser. Clip established plants lightly twice during the summer months to retain a balanced shape, using secateurs not shears.
- Size Guide
½ standard plants have a 45-50cm clear stem beneath a 30cm head
¾ standard plants have a 65-70cm clear stem beneath a 45cm head
Standard plants have a 1m clear stem beneath a 55cm head
Supplied in a plastic pot they are suitable for potting in to terracotta pot or wooden planter to makethem look a feature on patios or outside your door
“Highly aromatic sweet bay for culinary use, or for tight topiary - to recreate the Roman villa look in warm courtyards. Or leave it form a natural pyramid and just enjoy the spring flowers -like the bees”
Val Bourne - Garden Writer