- Position: bright, indirect light
- Soil: fertile: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Flower: spring/summer
- Current height: approximately 10cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 14cm pot cover, and add an inch or two of gravel or sharp sand in the base before sitting the plant pot on top.
An attractive succulent that grows in a rosette of fleshy leaves on short stems. Although it is not recommended that they are put in hot summer sunshine, some sun will help to bring out the colour of the leaves. In the summer these pretty plants can also produce colouful bell shaped flowers.
- Home care: Needs very little care, except that the leaves are so need to be handled with care. Water sparingly when required avoiding the actual rosette of leaves, and keep in an even warm enviroment. As an added bonus, this plant often produces small baby plants or 'chicks', hence the common name 'hen and 'chicks' at the base of the main rosette of leaves. Cut these off and pop them into some cactus potting compost to give to all your friends!